Well, after the previous playoff watch picture, things are much more clear. Here’s the current breakdown:
Walter Payton Conference
1. Donelson Warriors – Donelson clinched the #1 seed and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with a victory over Hermitage last week. The road to the Super Bowl on this side goes through Donelson.
2. Wausau Blue Bombers – Wausau has already clinched the division–and can clinch the #2 seed with a victory over TP this week.
3. Coldspring Chiefs – Coldspring could earn a first round bye if Wausau loses out and they win out – this seems unlikely. They play Minnesota this week and with a victory clinch the division and the 3rd spot in the playoffs.
4. San Pedro Corsairs – San Pedro has had an impressive turnaround after starting the season poorly. Were it not in a division with Donelson, San Pedro would be competing for the #2 seed. This spot is just about locked up for San Pedro.
5. Minnesota Lakers – Minnesota has also been playing well as of late. They’ve played themselves into contention. A victory over Coldspring this week could mean a division title.
6. Trois-Pistoles – As of right now, TP is in control of their own destiny for the playoffs, with a one game lead over Hermitage , Tennessee, and Knoxville. However, they play a really competitive Wausau club this weekend and could drop into a 3 or 4 way tie for the final spot in the playoffs.
Still alive, need help: Hermitage, Tennessee, Knoxville, New England
OJ Simpson Conference
1. Buffalo Blitz – With two victories over Great Lakes and a head-to-head victory over Tillman, Buffalo has locked up the division and #1 overall seed in the OJ Simpson Conference. Buffalo seems destined to meet either Donelson or Wausau in the Super Bowl (with significant victories over their top 2 opponents).
2. Tillman Rangers – Tillman has quietly put together a 10-win season (which could easily end up being 12). A week 16 showdown with Montcalm could end up determining the #2 seed and the division crown.
3. Saint Gabriel – While not necessarily the most talented team in this division, it is the most well-coached. Saint Gabriel has pulled away from a division that was stuck in a logjam a couple of weeks ago. SG can clinch the division with a victory this week. (Real Charleston could still claim division title if SG loses out and RC wins out).
4. Great Lakes – Similar to San Pedro, were Great Lakes not in a division with Buffalo, this club would be fighting for the two seed. Instead, they are looking like the first wildcard team. Montcalm / Tillman could overtake them for this wildcard spot, but it seems unlikely as Great Lakes is all but assured victories the last two weeks of the season (see: games against Nashville and Bearden).
5. Montcalm / Tillman – the runner-up of that division likely lands here.
6. Real Charleston / Glendora / Bullard – At best, an 8-8 team will make the playoffs. At worst, a 7-9 team will make the playoffs.